Confidentiality and Security of Personal Information
We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect personally identifiable information sent to our website, both during transmission and afterwards. When you enter sensitive information (such as a credit card number) on our registration or order forms, we encrypt that information using secure socket layer technology ("SSL").
However, despite our efforts to maintain the confidentiality and security of your account, no method of transmission over the Internet and no method of electronic storage is completely secure. Although we make every effort to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
TRUSTe Privacy Program
We are a licensee of the TRUSTe Privacy Program, which is further described at http://www.truste.com/privacy_seals_and_services/consumer_privacy/privacy-programs-requirements.html. As a licensee of this program we have our privacy practices regularly reviewed for compliance by TRUSTe.
If you have questions about the TRUSTe Privacy Program, please contact TRUSTe at (415) 520-3490.
Personal Information We Will Collect
- Registration Information. In order to use our website, you must register with us and create a user name and password. We also request that you provide your name, address, phone number, and email address. In addition, if you are a commercial customer, we may ask you to submit such commercial information as your license number and your certifications, and we will provide you the option to include any other information.
We may also require you to provide financial information. We will use your financial information, including credit card information, to verify the accuracy of your name, address, and other information, and to bill you for your use of our services.
We make every effort to identify for you, which personal information is required and which information is optional. You always have the option to not provide information by choosing not to use a particular service or feature.
- Log Files. We may collect the Internet Protocol ("IP") address of your computer, browser type, internet service provider ("ISP"), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and click-stream data, in order to enable us to detect unauthorized transactions, better manage website traffic, administer the website, track users' movements around the website, and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We will not link any such data to other personally identifiable information.
- Cookies. We may use "cookies," which are small data files placed and stored on your computer, to help you manage your use of our website. In particular, we use session cookies to make it easier for you to navigate our Website, which will expire when you close your browser, and persistent cookies which remain on your hard-drive for an extended period of time. When we set a cookie, it is not tied to your personally identifiable information directly; instead, it is tied to your myServiceConnection username, which in turn is tied to your personally identifiable information.
Cookies are used as follows:
- To recognize you as a regular user;
- To remind us of who you are;
- To estimate our audience size by determining repeat usage of the website to help target advertisements based on user interests and behavior;
- To track your progress;
- To measure traffic patterns for use as a research tool to understand how our users' habits are similar or different from one another;
- To conduct other research;
- To customize our service to make your experience safer and easier;
- To track information regarding your behavior on the website, in order to better understand, protect, and serve you and our Website community;
- To store passwords, so you do not have to enter them in more than once;
- To track referrals;
- To target the interests of our users in order to enhance their experience on the website.
You can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, in order to give you the chance to determine whether or not to accept it. If you do not accept cookies, some pages of this Website may not display properly, you may not be permitted to access certain information, and you may have only limited use of some areas of our Website, such as contests or surveys. PLEASE NOTE: YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO LOG IN OR REGISTER WITHOUT COOKIES.
You may remove persistent cookies by following the directions provided in your Internet browser's help file.
- Comments. We may collect other visitors' comments about you in our feedback area, if you choose, to list, bid, or enter into a transaction on our Website.
- Personal Correspondence. We may collect personal correspondence, such as emails or letters that you send us or third party correspondence to us about your activities or postings on our Website.
- Contact and Demographic Information. We may request other personally identifiable information from you in the event that you participate in any contest or survey on our Website. Participation in surveys or contests is completely voluntary and therefore you may choose whether or not to disclose this information, which typically will include requests for contact and demographic information.
- Friend's Name and Email Address. We may request your friend's name and email address in the event that you choose to use our referral service to tell a friend about our Website, and send your friend a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the Website. We will store this information for the sole purpose of tracking your friend back to you as the referrer if he or she joins the Website.
- Messages. We may collect information regarding your posts to our Community Discussion Blogs and Service Listing Q & A boards or feedback. We retain this information as necessary to resolve disputes, provide customer support, and troubleshoot problems as permitted by law.
Purposes for Which We Will Use Personal Information
Our policy is to use personal information for the following purposes:
- Maintaining a Commercial Relationship. We use personal information to maintain a commercial relationship with you and to communicate with you (which may include: providing services, advertising, promotions, account verification), and measuring consumer interest in our products and services.
- Providing Better Service. We use personal information to identify your needs and/or preferences, to resolve disputes, to troubleshoot problems, to promote safe transactions, to collect fees owed, and to customize your experience.
- Meeting Requirements. We use personal information to meet legal and regulatory requirements.
- Protection. We use personal information to detect and protect us against error, fraud, and criminal activity, as well as to identify users using multiple user names or aliases.
- Improving Business Operations. We use personal information to administer, maintain, manage, and improve our business operations. We also use personal information to analyze Website usage, improve our content and product offerings, and to customer the Website content, layout and services.
- Enforcing our Terms. We use personal information to enforce our Terms of Service.
- As Required by Law. We use personal information as otherwise required by law.
Sharing of Personal Information
This Website does not rent, trade, or share personal information with third parties, except to provide products or services, which you requested, when we have your permission, or under the following circumstances:
- Credit Card Processing. We use third parties for credit card processing, which parties are prohibited from using your personally identifiable information for promotional purposes.
- Website Community Members. We display your MyServiceConnection user ID throughout the Website, so that it will be available to the public. All of your activities on this Website will be identifiable to your userID. Other people will be able to see such information as your bids, the services you have listed, your feedback rating and associated comments, your postings on the Website, etc. Thus, if you associate your name with your userID, the people who you have revealed your name to will be able to personally identify your MyServiceConnection.com activities. If you are involved in a transaction, we have features that allow parties to the transaction to view your email address and obtain your contact information to help complete the transaction.
- Website Improvements. We may share your information with third parties in order to improve the quality or design of the Website, and to create new features, promotions, functionality, and services by storing, tracking and analyzing user preferences and trends.
- Legally Required. We may share your personal information if we are required by law to make such disclosures, if we believe that the disclosure is required or necessary to protect our rights and/or comply with a judicial processing or legal process served on our Website, or if we believe that it is required in order to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, a potential threat to the physical safety of a third party, or as otherwise required by law.
- Merger or Acquisition. We may transfer personal information to a third party entity in the event of a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of all or a portion of our assets. You will be notified via email of any such change in ownership or control of personal information.
- Professional Advisors and Service Providers. We may share personal information with our legal, financial, and other professional advisors.
- Other Third Parties Upon Consent. We may share personal information with third parties upon receiving your consent as required by law.
Except as provided above, we will not share any of your information to any third party without permission.
Access to Your Personal Information
You can review, update, delete, correct, or de-activate your personal information on file with us online or in person at any time. To access your personal information, we require a written request, unless you login and update your personal information yourself directly. Upon receipt of any written request, we will take commercially reasonable steps to provide you with the opportunity to access any such information. Please contact our customer support at email@example.com
Email Requests for Personal Information
We will never initiate a request for personal information by email or pop-up window. If you receive a request by email or pop-up window, please do not respond and notify us as set forth below.
If you ever believe that you have been a victim of fraud, please report it to the police and take all available actions to protect yourself. Also, please notify us, so that we can take all possible actions to protect you and the other users of this website.
We are committed to protecting the privacy of children. In furtherance of this commitment, we restrict the use of our Website to persons eighteen (18) years of age or older. We do not knowingly or intentionally collect personal information from children under the age of thirteen (13).
Contact with You
We may use your email address to contact you from time to time, in order to send notices required by law, to provide information regarding this Website, or to resolve any complaint or suspicious transactions. We also reserve the right to mail or email information to you about our services, to provide offers, or to send out our newsletter to you. We will also send you a welcoming email to verify your email address, user name, and password.
You may at any time choose to unsubscribe (or "opt-out") of any of our mailings, either by adjusting your membership settings at your "My Account" tab or by following the directions to unsubscribe in the email, newsletter, or other communication. You may also opt out by emailing us at privacy@myServiceConnection.com.
We may send you strictly service-related announcements on rare occasions when it is necessary to do so, such as when our service is temporarily suspended for maintenance. Generally, you may not opt out of these communications, which are not promotional in nature. If you do not wish to receive them, you have the option to deactivate your account.
Links to Other Websites
This Website may contain links to third party sites which are not owned or controlled by us. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other websites. We encourage you to be aware when you leave our website and to read the privacy statements of any and all websites which collect personally identifiable information.
Community Discussion Blog
If you use a bulletin board on our website, please note that any personally identifiable information, including your email address, which you submit can be read, collected, or used by other users of these forums, which may be used to send you unsolicited messages. Please post comments with caution. We are not responsible for the personally identifiable information that you choose to submit to these forums.
Other Legal Notices